SubCulture’s Artist-In-Residence: Jason Robert Brown
Tony Award-winning composer and lyricist Jason Robert Brown’s wildly successful and acclaimed concert series is returning to SubCulture in 2018. Each unique performance will incorporate an eclectic mix of material, featuring music from throughout his acclaimed career, along with new works in development. Plus, there’s always the possibility of some very special guests stopping by to join Jason.
Special guests in past performances from this series have included Kelli O’Hara, Steve Pasquale, Norbert Leo Butz, Tom Kitt, Tony Danza, Laura Benanti, Cynthia Erivo, Tituss Burgess, Lena Hall, Ana Gasteyer, LaChanze, Shaina Taub, Megan Hilty, Eden Espinosa, Norm Lewis, Sierra Boggess, Mykal Kilgore, Betsy Wolfe, Shoshana Bean, Philippa Soo, Justin Guarini, Stephen Schwartz and more! You never know who’s going to show up at upcoming performances, so don’t miss out!*
[click a performance date for tickets]
- Monday, January 22nd @ 8:00pm — Guest: Carrie Manolakos
- Saturday, February 24th @ 8:00pm — Guest: Sutton Foster (sold out)
- Saturday, February 24th @ 10:00pm — Guest: Sutton Foster
- Monday, March 12th @ 8:00pm — Guests: Nova Y. Payton, Andrea Jones-Sojola, Dr. Patrice E. Turner, and Natasha Yvette Williams
- Wednesday, April 25th @ 8:00pm — Guests: Nick Blaemire and Amber Iman
- Monday, May 21st @ 8:00pm — Guest: Gavin Creel
- Monday, June 18th @ 8:00pm — Guests: Frances Ruffelle and Camille Thurman
- Monday, July 23rd @ 8:00pm — Guest: Rachel Bay Jones
- Monday, August 6th @ 8:00pm — Guest: Cynthia Erivo
- Monday, September 17th @ 8:00pm — Guest: Jeremy Jordan
- Monday, September 17th @ 10:00pm — Guest: Jeremy Jordan
- Saturday, October 20th @ 8:00pm — Guests: Sierra Boggess and Ty Taylor
- Monday, November 5th @ 8:00pm — Guest: Solea Pfeiffer
*Guests subject to change
About Jason Robert Brown
JASON ROBERT BROWN is the ultimate multi-hyphenate – composer, lyricist, conductor, arranger, orchestrator, director and performer – best known for his dazzling scores to several of the most renowned musicals of his generation, including The Bridges of Madison County, for which Jason received the 2014 Tony Awards for Best Score and Best Orchestrations; the seminal chamber musical The Last Five Years, now a feature film starring Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan; his debut song cycle Songs for a New World; and Parade, winner of the 1999 Best Score Tony. The New York Times refers to Jason as “a leading member of a new generation of composers who embody high hopes for the American musical.”
His other musicals include Honeymoon In Vegas and 13, a film version of which is currently in development. His “novel symphony” The Trumpet of the Swan has been performed by the National Symphony Orchestra and around the world. Jason conducted Parade at Avery Fisher Hall in an all-star concert performance in February, 2015, and he is in the midst of recording a followup to his solo album, Wearing Someone Else’s Clothes. His sold-out series of concerts at the Abrons Arts Center in 2012 yielded a television special and accompanying album, Jason Robert Brown In Concert With Anika Noni Rose.
Jason studied composition at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, N.Y., with Samuel Adler, Christopher Rouse, and Joseph Schwantner. He lives with his wife, composer Georgia Stitt, and their daughters in New York City. Jason is a proud member of the Dramatists Guild and the American Federation of Musicians Local 802 & 47. Visit him on the web at www.jasonrobertbrown.com.